The Department of Discrete Mathematics of the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT) launches a call for the two-year Master’s Program “Advanced Combinatorics”. MIPT invites foreign students specializing in Mathematics and/or Computer Science to spend 2 years in Moscow in the framework of our program.
The program was founded in 2015. It is focused on modern aspects of combinatorics (or, a bit more generally, discrete mathematics) and its applications in computer science and in the theory of complex networks. Below we provide a list of courses, but first of all we would like to emphasize the features and competitive advantages of our Master’s program.
The program stars with a bunch of courses that we call “re-indroductional”. These are needed to equate students’ basic knowledge in algebra, probability and basic discrete mathematics. We will rely on that basic tools during the next three semesters to build a solid picture of modern combinatorics, with a slight emphasis on graph (and network) theory and geometry. Every semester we will also have at least one course by an invited lecturer. The list of courses is here.
Advantages of Master’s program “Advanced Combinatorics”
- The program is 2 years long. All courses in our program are taught in English by highly qualified professors and renown Russian mathematicians: A.B. Dainiak, V.L. Dolnikov, A.Ya. Kanel-Belov, R.N. Karasev, A.M. Raigorodskii, A.A. Polyanskii, D.A. Shabanov, I.D. Shkredov, M.E. Zhukovskii, and others.
- The program is completely free for 5 strongest applicants selected by the program committee. Moreover, a stipend of 5000 Russian Rubles (RUR) will be paid monthly in this case. Additional scholarship will be available.
- The program welcomes any additional number of students selected by the committee. The annual tuition fee is as low as 400 000 RUR (or $6500 / 5500 €).
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT) provides every student with accommodation in modern buildings on campus. The monthly apartment rental fee is only 1250 RUR, which is about $21 or 18€.
- MIPT helps with obtaining a Russian visa and getting a health insurance.
- Besides courses by strong lectors from MIPT the program also features visiting lectures and mini-courses by top-tier experts in the field from the renowned scientific institutions: D. Gamarnik (MIT), G.O.H. Katona (Rényi Institute), J. Pach (EPFL), B. Sudakov (ETH Zurich), P. Tetali (Georgia Tech), N. Litvak (Twente), and others. This is a really unique combination!
- We have strong partnership with many renowned combinatorial research centers all around the world. Among them are: MIT Boston, Renyi Institute Budapest, EPFL Lausanne, Tel-Aviv University, ETH Zurich, INRIA France, Cambridge University UK, UCL UK, Technische and Freie Universities Berlin, Georgia Tech Atlanta, and many others. Thus, we can help our students who successfully finish our Master’s program not only to become PhD students at MIPT, but also to apply for graduate studies at the above-listed partner institutions.
- The Department of Discrete Mathematics at MIPT, which is organizing this Master’s program, not only employs prominent professors listed above, but also has well established partnership with Yandex, the most popular search engine in Russia. Professor Andrei M. Raigorodskii, head of the department and director of the program, is also the leader of a research division at Yandex that aims at applying combinatorial methods to provide good models for web-graphs and to improve search quality. Thus, our students have an opportunity add an internship at Yandex research labs to their portfolio.
- Although our program covers the state-of-the-art advanced modern combinatorics and applications, we shall certainly spend some time in the first semester to introduce our students to the basics of the subject.
Starting date is October 1 of each year. If you wish to join us or if you have any questions feel free to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.